After a set of interviews, the selected candidates will participate in experiments in RF-driven negative ion sources. They will execute experiments on the IPP test facilities BATMAN Upgrade and ELISE, complemented with simulations, in order to support the Neutral Beam Test Facility (NBTF) in Padua (Italy) for the development of the negative ion source for ITER NBI. The tasks will be agreed within an EUROfusion Annual Work Program aligned to the one of the NBTF.
- Support the operation of the test facility ELISE.
- Operate and maintain beam diagnostics installed on the test facilities ELISE and BATMAN.
- Upgrade with the focus on beam emission spectroscopy and IR thermography.
- Evaluate and interpret data and draw conclusions about physical dependencies.
- Support the interpretation of measured data with simulations by using existing particle trajectory codes.
- Collaborate with experts from other European partners working in the same field, in particular with the NBTF team.
Qualifications/Competencies and Skills
- PhD degree in Physics or equivalent fields.
- Solid knowledge of data acquisition systems, data evaluation and visualization.
- Experience in the operation of negative ion sources and beams is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of optical emission spectroscopy or IR-thermography is an advantage.
- Knowledge in programming and/or data processing languages (e.g. Python, Fortran, Matlab).
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively within an international team.