Renaissance Fusion is the first Magnetic Confinement Fusion company in the EU. We are building the first net-energy producing stellarator by combining proprietary innovations in modular design, the manufacturing of next-generation High-Temperature Superconducting (HTS) magnets, and liquid walls. We are forming a team of the brightest, most driven scientists and engineers to realize and commercialize our non-fusion HTS magnets within 2 years and fusion magnets and integrated fusion solutions within 10 years.
Specifically, we are looking for passionate, inventive, resourceful experts of polishing who love their job and want to push it to the absolute limit. We are seeking both super-skilled technicians who make miracles with their hands and more scholarly types deeply familiar with the literature about polishing, and having a couple of disruptive ideas of their own. We are especially interested in candidates combining the hands-on and inventive part.
Our team is young, agile, international and based in the exciting city of Grenoble, by the French Alps.
- Individual research responsibilities
- Define technical solutions to meet the process engineers’ specifications.
- Select polishing technologies to reach the required surface roughness.
- Commission and maintain the polishing system.
- Optimize the polishing process to reach the required surface roughness and process yield.
- System troubleshooting
- Responsibilities as a team member
- Work closely with the process engineer in charge of physical vapor deposition. Set target surface roughness and other specifications.
- Train users of polishing system and write operation manuals.
- 3+ years of professional experience in at least 2 of the following polishing techniques: mechanical polishing, electropolishing, laser polishing.
- Organizational and problem-solving skills, attention to detail and willingness to learn.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in material engineering or related field.
- Experience in polishing meter-wide surfaces.
- Experience operating high-power lasers.
- Experience in writing specifications and standard operation documents.
- Written and oral communication skills. Ability to explain complicated concepts in a clear, concise manner.
- Ability and drive to engage with a team of scientists and engineers, understand complex descriptions and needs, and ability to translate them into technical requirements and “on time, on budget, on specs” designs.
- Experience in polishing substrates for the semiconductor or superconductor industry.
- Experience in polishing mirrors for telescopes or other cutting-edge scientific instruments.