- Individual research responsibilities
- Design, construct, test, trouble-shoot, maintain and continuously improve vacuum solutions to meet process engineers’ specifications for thin film deposition.
- Verify the compliance of vacuum systems and components with HTS industry standards and with Renaissance Fusion’s specifications.
- Work with vendors to identify and modify vacuum components for ultra-high vacuum, special vapors and special geometries.
- Responsibilities as a team member
- Work closely with the whole HTS team to understand the multi-disciplinary requirements of the project (chemical, electric, magnetic, thermal etc.) project and adapt the vacuum system accordingly.
- Integrate vacuum system with other sub-systems (electrical, cooling, cryogenic etc.).
- Occasionally contribute to vacuum-related projects in Fusion Engineering or Liquid Metals or, conversely, integrate vacuum engineers from said teams, according to fluctuations in workload for the various groups.
- Write internal and external documentation. Occasionally train internal and external users.
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in engineering, material science, applied physics or related field.
- 3+ years of hands-on professional experience in vacuum technology.
- 3+ years professional experience in setting specifications for large-scale complex vacuum systems under chemically, mechanically and thermally demanding conditions: vacuum pumps, valves, seals and gaskets in complex, vacuum diagnostics and control.
- Experience in writing specifications and standard operation documents.
- Written and oral communication skills. Ability to explain complicated concepts clearly and concisely.
- Ability and drive to engage with a team of scientists and engineers, understand complex descriptions and needs, and ability to translate them into vacuum requirements and “on time, on budget, on specs” designs.
- Organizational and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, curiosity and willingness to learn.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- 1+ year industrial experience in vacuum systems for semiconductors and/or superconductors.
- 1+ year R&D experience in vacuum systems for fusion research, particle accelerators or other large facilities.
- 1+ year hands-on experience with systems containing liquid-vacuum interfaces.
- 1+ year professional experience working with SolidWorks or other CAD software and ANSYS, COMSOL or other finite-element software.