LEI's mission is to be the highest qualification expert on the issues of engineering, hydrology, metrology, nuclear safety, enviroment protection and economy, related to Lithuanian energy. Their objectives are:
- To perform fundamental and applied research in the fields of thermal physics, hydrodynamics, metrology, safety and reliability of energy objects, materials engineering, hydrology, and processes management.
- To prepare energy sector planning conceptual and methodological basis in state’s policy energy sector.
- To prepare first-class specialists for energy and scientific research related to it.
In the last years scientific activities in the Institute were carried out according to five main research directions approved and financed by the Government of Lithuania:
- Development of energy economy planning methods, investigation of safety and reliability of the power plants, their impact on the environment, efficient energy consumption and the renewable energy sources.
- Investigations in the fields of thermal physics, fluid mechanics and metrology.
- Simulation of complex systems, development of their control methods and technologies.
- Investigation of energy systems’ construction elements aging and development of new multifunctioned materials.
- Investigations of combustion and plasma processes in the fields of fuel saving, reduction of environmental pollution and thermal decontamination of materials.