National Centre for Scientific Research “Demokritos” (http://www.demokritos.gr) is today the largest multidisciplinary Research Centre of Greece consisting of five independent Institutes focusing on different scientific fields. It is governed by the Board of Directors and is supervised by the General Secretariat of Research and Innovation, under the Ministry of Development & Investments.
NCSR “Demokritos” is a multi-disciplinary National Research Centre with activities in Fusion Technology, Materials at Extreme Environments (Energy Systems and Aerospace), Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Superconductors, Magnetism, Nuclear Physics and Technology, Radiation Physics, Sensors, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Quantum computing.
The Fusion Technology Group (https://ftg.demokritos.gr/) of the National Centre of Scientific Research “Demokritos” , Athens, Greece performs research in the field of Fusion Technology focused on the following:
- Radiation damage studies of materials: Fast ion and neutron irradiation of fusion materials aiming to the understanding of the irradiation effects on the structural, magnetic, electrical and mechanical properties of the materials and further providing experimental validation of radiation effects modeling.
- Interaction between plasma and plasma facing materials: Surface analysis of materials exposed to fusion plasma for studying fuel retention, surface erosion, and material migration/deposition.
- Neutronic calculations and measurements of Fusion Devices: Neutron transport and activation calculations related to neutron streaming in fusion devices and radiological properties of fusion energy materials, experimental validation of codes and nuclear data.
- Development of neutron detectors based on the multi foil neutron activation technique, for the measurement of the energy spectrum and fluence under the extreme fusion environment.
- Operational Radiation Exposure estimations for the preparation of DEMO Generic Safety Analysis.
- Plasma Diagnostics in fusion devices
The Fusion Technology Group has strong collaborative links with most of the European Fusion Research Laboratories and European Large Scale Research Facilities.